Saturday, January 29, 2011

Amazon Sets Broadcast 0: Origins Free!

After reading my blog post about the trouble I was having persuading Amazon to offer Origins for free, Dan McGirt (author of fine comedy adventure books), was kind to offer help. He pointed out a loophole in the contract located in the pricing section. After following his directions and adding my own little twist, Amazon reduced the price to $0.00.

I have to admit, the solution is simple. I won't go into a great amount of detail. All any author has to do is look at the competitive pricing clause in the contract for the Digital Text Platform and then read any listing for a Kindle book, where they'll find a place to report a lower price. With those hints, anyone who really wants to offer their book for free can do so.

Now, on to the less boring, non-contract involved stuff. In the roughly 36 hours since Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins became free it has been downloaded over 12,700 times. It's also the #2 free book on Amazon.com (US) site wide.

Honestly I'm amazed, and hope that this pure space opera novel (or collected trilogy, if you want to be accurate), has a broader appeal than expected. I don't generally expect non-science fiction fans to enjoy this work much, but I'm happy that I've been wrong about this where some readers are concerned. I have to thank Scheherizade MQ for lighting a fire under me and accelerating this issue towards a resolution.

This book is also available for free at Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, the iBookstore (sorry, you'll have to look for it on your iDevice), Diesel and other big or small outlets.

The other version of this book, The First Light Chronicles Omnibus, will be retired soon, since it's much easier to navigate the Spinward Fringe series if you start with Origins. For anyone who doesn't know, Broadcast 0: Origins and the First Light Chronicles Omnibus have exactly the same contents.

If you are new to Spinward Fringe, thank you and welcome to the crew! I owe thanks to the readers who are already aboard for supporting me to the extent that I can write and produce full time. On that topic, things are going very well with this final draft of Broadcast 7: Framework - I'm about half way through it after only a month's work. The draft and a half that came before took much longer. Thank God this is the last draft.

RL

[Before you ask, no, the other eBooks will never be free, sorry. The prices are more than fair, however.]

8 comments:

David "Wildfire" Sewell said...

Congrats!! I'm happy Amazon finally let you post the book free as it should be, and SHAME on them for telling customers that you wanted to charge them. That is SO wrong on many business levels. They should send the customers a written on letterhead note to inform the customer that Amazon screwed up and told them misinformation.

DS

Randolph Lalonde said...

I agree, but I don't think that's going to happen. Admitting an error is a major Corporate no-no, especially where potential defamation is concerned.

Not that I'd take advantage of such leverage, I'm too busy writing Broadcast 7. That, and I couldn't afford the army of lawyers that kind of endeavour would require!

I'm just happy the book is free!

Oh, and UPDATE: It's free at Amazon.co.uk as well now: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004EPYUXA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p351_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1FZ5VK9180YTKY2NX277&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Now, to squeeze in some really intense writing days so I can get Broadcast 7 out before angry mobs begin assembling...

RL

Heather said...

Thank you thank you thank you for putting this on Amazon!!! I downloaded Origins for free and could not put it down. I read the entire thing in 4 hours. I am forcing myself to get some sleep and in the morning I am purchasing the rest of the eBooks. I have not been this entranced by a series in years, and I am an AVID reader. I just cannot thank you enough!!!

Richard in CA said...

Oops, I just started reading and started with 1 and 2. At any rate, 2.99 is way cheaper than most quality books. Really great book. I've read so many books and Spinward 1 and 2 were great! I just bought 3 and am looking forward to it. I especially appreciated the lack of severe profanity. My son likes to read SF and lately many authors have been leaving the tradition of a good story and clean language. Thanks for that.

Brian I said...

I like so many others picked up origins on Amazon. I loved it and am now starting broadcast 6 after plowing through your other works. Thanks for the lte nights and neglected chores! I can't wait for broadcast 7

Anonymous said...

I am thoroughly enjoying Origins and have just downloaded '1' ready :D I am very glad you persuaded Amazon to list Origins for free!

Wee Si said...

I am glad that you got Amazon UK to also set the price to free, I dont think there is any other way I could have found out about Origins. I have just paid for and downloaded the next two books. Origins is the best book I have read in a long time.

Bob DeLoyd said...

I've just finished this book and I have to say it is one of the best I've read in a longtime! I got it for free at Amazon and I "Bought" the next in the series :)
Thank you very much for writing this wonderful piece of Sci-Fi and may you continue to do so, so I'll be awake into the wee hours of the night reading your page turners!!!!!

Oh, and may you make money doing so :)