Monday, January 17, 2011

Thumbs Up For Draft 2.5 Of Broadcast 7: Framework

The first section of Spinward Fringe Broadcast 7: Framework went off to the editor last week. Last night I got a call at 9pm and all she wanted to know was when she'd be getting the rest of the book. That's a good sign.

I was worried because I've never written a book that resembles what I sent her. It was so different because the first draft and a half didn't work the way I wanted it to, so I flipped parts of the plot around, tossed out a huge section and the ideas that went with it, then added a smaller, more interesting storyline.

The result? Last week I handed my editor a completely experimental draft with two strong perspectives and one shifting perspective that I'm intentionally writing exactly like I would a teleplay. The focus in that third of the book moves from character to character as they come in contact with each other, and I think that's what's going to make everything I want to do in this book possible. If she reported that the style didn't work, then I'd have to find another way. The verdict on my experiment is in, and she said that shifting perspective is the most charming part of the book so far. Thank God.

According to her, the epic elements of the series are back in force, and that's mixed with an emotional story that looks the events of Broadcast 6: Fragments full in the face. So, that leaves me with a challenge. With her so impressed with the first section of chapters I'm pressed to work even harder to make sure it's not all down hill from there!

Oh, and sometime in the next couple of weeks there will be a preview chapter that will be safe for anyone who has read Broadcast 4: Frontline or later. A firm release date is still a ways off, but it draws nearer every day. This draft is flying by.

RL

[Oh yeah, and there's a cover.]

5 comments:

Chris said...

This is very good to hear!!

I know the wait is going to make it all the more worth it, but I am chomping at the bit here. Good luck with the rest of Broadcast 7 and Godspeed!!

David "Wildfire" Sewell said...

Woo!! Congrats!

Becky said...

I just finished reading Broadcast 6 and thought, "This can't be the end. There must be more!". So I was delighted to find that Broadcast 7 is in the works. Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

you... must... keep writing!! i love these books and i dont want them to ever stop :)

Anonymous said...

That is very good news indeed!

I think we are all patiently, and maybe not so patiently, awaiting publication.