Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Expendable Few Facts


As I come to the last writing on the final draft of the Expendable Few, there are finally a number of certainties surrounding the book, its release, and how it fits into the Spinward Fringe series. Here's a list!

Facts about Expendable Few:

Expendable Few is currently 31 chapters +1 Epilogue. That's after cutting / substituting 9 chapters and taking 5 cracks at the epilogue.

Instead of writing a short novella, the Expendable Few has grown to the size of the average science fiction novel (about 85,000-100,000 words).

It'll be released on Smashwords first, and available for whatever people are willing to pay ($0.00 to $?.??)

A print version will be available within a month of the EBook's release.

30 days after the release on Smashwords, Expendable Few will appear on Amazon.com. Pricing will partially be dictated by Amazon. Within a few weeks of the book's appearance on Amazon it will pop up on Barnes and Noble, the iBookstore, Kobo and other retailers. It is important to mention that Smashwords will provide versions of the book for all readers, so no matter what you're using you can get the book on day one there.

Work on Broadcast 7 is starting back up as I work on the extra chapters in Expendable Few, no more material will be cut from EF, unless the editors require it.

I expect to have a release date for this book by Feb 14, hopefully MUCH earlier.

Our ebook formatting partner has been contacted, and they will be giving us a submission deadline today.

This book is experimental in every way, and unlike anything I've written in the genres of horror, fantasy, or science fiction, while drawing from all three genres.

It will read short - meaning that it is fast paced, and you'll be finished before you realize it.

All the central plotlines that begin in this book end in this book.

The book eventually connects to the Spinward Fringe series.

11 comments:

Chad said...

I cannot wait for this book! I started my 1st re-read of the SF series last week. I am almost through B:5 so I will be eagerly awaiting this new viewpoint with nothing to read shortly. I am thinking about buying it on Smashwords instead of Amazon just so I can have it 30 days sooner. Your books are addicting like crack, but waaaay healthier.

Anonymous said...

I'm really new to this... I see you mention Amazon and smash words... What about Barnes and Noble?

Randolph Lalonde said...

Thanks for bringing that up, Anonymous, I should have included that in the post.

I added this in:

Within a few weeks of the book's appearance on Amazon it will pop up on Barnes and Noble, the iBookstore, Kobo and other retailers. It is important to mention that Smashwords will provide versions of the book for all readers, so no matter what you're using you can get the book on day one there.

Thanks again for bringing it up,

RL

Anonymous said...

Love your work can't wait for the next book!

Anonymous said...

head splosions! new book!? SWEET! I think i peed a little ^^;

Dan Gallagher said...

I just discovered the Fringe novels last week and I have purchased everything I could find on Amazon and devoured it in a week! I cannot convey how much I enjoyed the Broadcasts and I really look forward to Broadcast 7!!

The charachters are rich and I have enjoyed watching them all evolve. What a movie series this would make!!!

I really appreciate your work Randolph!!!

A 60 year-old Sci-fi fan - and a fan of yours!

Dan Gallagher
djg.31635@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Dan said everything i wanted to, except the 60 year old bit :P

Michael Finnegan said...

Hi Randolph

I've been following this series for several years and checking in on your blog for release dates whenever I get a minute. I'm looking forward to the next release in the coming weeks.

I've never gotten involved with discussions up to this point but after reading the series again I began to wonder if you've ever explored the idea of explaining where the first light originated and it's experiences during the first major war and up to its appearance on freeground? I know you touch briefly on it's battle where nearly all hands were lost but I'm referring further back into it's service history.

I'm an aero engineer by trade so I may become attached to the ships moreso than the characters at times haha but I really think it may have potential for a good book

Mike

Rehan said...

Hi

I am fairly new to ebooks and just buy chance i came across the SF series. I must admit (although not a keen reader) i was instantly hooked. After fininshing broadcast 6, i am eagerly awaiting the arrival of Broadcast 7, but before that I have a question,i.e. what is Expendable few? or its another name for Broadcast 7. As far as i remember broadcast 7 was to be called Framework, can i please get some clarification on this.

Finally, great job on the series so far Mr Lalonde. I hope that you keep us entertained and on the edge for many more years to come.

regards

Rehan Akhtar.
Birmingham
UK

Anonymous said...

I have read thousands upon thousands of works of sci fi. The Spinward fringe series is top of the line man. Even better, it has improved over the course of the series. Something that is rare indeed. Imo in the same class as The dark tower, Dune and Lotr.

Anonymous said...

I received an Amazon Kindle for Christmas and so looking around came across Spinward Fringe Origins among the free books, Having already downloaded some awful books i have to admit i was not hopeful and boy was i proved so very wrong, What can i say except "Brilliant, It was so good i payed for and downloaded the rest SF series " . Having grew up reading Doc Smith, Andre Norton to name a few Randolph Lalonde will i believe in years to come be listed among the great writers of Sci Fi opera.
Keep up the good work and i look forward to book 7