Monday, February 15, 2016

Spinward Fringe Broadcast 10: Freeground Requires More Time

** There will be no more release dates until the manuscript is complete. I apologize to anyone who wanted a firm date, but the work that this book requires far surpasses my original expectations, my adjusted expectations, and even my latest expectations. This is a big story made of smaller, interwoven stories that take a lot of thought and planning. The release date is now officially, "When I have a full draft." **


Below is a whole article as to why this delay is happening and what you can expect until then in terms of previews. The news is almost all good.

Spinward Fringe Broadcast 10: Freeground - a book with many stories and many characters.

There's the issue and at the same time the wonderful thing about this book. Some of the stories in this novel only occupy four or five chapters, while the main plots run the length. This book is about a pair of journeys that are very different from each other.

It really is like writing two 70,000 word novels with a few short stories peppered in to cover the events happening around those main pieces. Of all the novels in the Spinward Fringe series, this is by far the most complex. I have never attempted a novel that brings characters up from the distant past, covers so many sides of an adventure, and has an origin story running right through the middle. On one hand, it's exciting, on the other it's exhausting and terrifying. It takes much longer to plan, and I'm constantly rechecking the work to make sure it makes sense and is easy enough to follow.
.
The good news is that the work is going well, but more time is required. The release date is being set tentatively as March 28, because the novel requires the time. I've heard and read every comment that has come across social media and my webpage every time I push the date, and that's why I feel I can take an extra 14 days to get this out. Almost no one wants a rushed book, which is great.
.
I'm excited to bring this vision to you in its complete form, which means a lot more work on my part, and more patience on yours. On the brighter side, four more preview chapters will be released, one per week so you can get a good picture of what's to come.
.
This book will also include a character guide and a preamble that goes through the important facts about the story so far. From reactions so far, I can see a lot of people are really happy to see this, and I think it's important at this point in the series. Broadcast 10 is an important novel in the series, a lot changes over the course of this book, and Alice takes us through a major origin story. It's partly hers, it partly belongs to someone else, and that part of the novel is almost finished. It's huge, exciting, and I love it.

A lot of people have said that Broadcast 9: Warpath was one of the best books in the series, and I am doing everything I can to make Broadcast 10 live up to that standard even though it's a very different book in pace and style. I love this series, and Broadcast 10 is an important milestone, so I want to deliver an incredible experience.

Keep your eye on this page for preview chapters that won't spoil the whole book for you. They're there to show you what to expect, to give you a taste of the stories you have waiting for you a little further along in time.

Thank you again for your patience and for supporting me by buying and reading my books.

RL

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Waiting patiently reboadcasting in the mean time. Thanks for the update.

wil2space said...

Waiting with bated breath...

Unknown said...

Thank god I have gone back over the series I need to know what has happened next

Unknown said...

I just finished my second read through of 0-9 and you have really created a masterpiece of a series, easily my favourite sci-fi novels. I'm very excited to see what 10 brings!

Brandon Vader said...

I've loved every book in the Spinward Fringe saga. Can't wait for more of the story to come out. I've reread the saga every time a new book comes out. I catch something new every time. Keep up the great work, we can wait a few extra weeks for a masterpiece!!! Cheers!

Unknown said...

Looking forward to the next installment. I have read every book in the series since Christmas, and it has probably stopped me from doing loads of important stuff so the break might allow me to catch up with real life. I am a huge fan since I got the first one free on kobo. Really impressed I am sure it will be worth the wait. Thank you

DavidP said...

I purchased Warpath back when it first came out and then re-read all of the books leading up to Warpath. I'm about halfway thru Broadcast 8: Renegades now and by the time I finish Warpath I will be ready to read Broadcast 10! So it will be perfect timing for me. I guess I haven't been following as closely as I should because I see that The Expendable Few is now available which appears to fill in details of Clark Patterson. I'm looking forward to reading that one as well.

DavidP said...

I purchased Warpath back when it first came out and then re-read all of the books leading up to Warpath. I'm about halfway thru Broadcast 8: Renegades now and by the time I finish Warpath I will be ready to read Broadcast 10! So it will be perfect timing for me. I guess I haven't been following as closely as I should because I see that The Expendable Few is now available which appears to fill in details of Clark Patterson. I'm looking forward to reading that one as well.

Unknown said...

You take your sweet time. The work you have put into these books has simply been astonishing. Keep up the good work, I'm sure all your loyal fans will be as patient as ever for the next installment.

Unknown said...

This series was my first sifi book series and I have read them all over again as each book as came out